Our exhibitors believe that Bulgarian students are very well-prepared academically with excellent foreign language(s) proficiency.
The EBBS fair enables its visitors to explore the many opportunities in Bulgaria and abroad. Our visitors are in all ages with a broad range of interests. Most of them are the motivated students from secondary education and also students who look for Master degree, MBA programs and others. We have a target group of Bulgarian teachers and academic staff who look for specific programs for their professional development. Our visitors are mostly groups of students but also students with their parents.
Bulgarian students look for information in advance, usually to take a decision to study in Bulgaria or abroad and is the decision of the family. The biggest number of our visitors are students from schools (between 15 and 20 years old: 45%) and their parents (17%). The visitors between 21 and 26 years old are 32%. This group of visitors increases last years because of the career part “Education and career“ of the fair. In 2019, the fair was visited by more than 5,500 persons of whom 58%, were women.
EBBS visitors are Bulgarian students, their families and friends who are involved in the decision-making process of where and what to study.
The main results from the National Statistical Institute (NSI) annual comprehensive surveys characterizing the activity of educational institutions are as follows:
• In 2019, high school graduates from general and vocational schools are respectively 26.5 and 23.0 thousand students.
• The main foreign language in general education schools is English – 91.9%. Most Bulgarian students who plan to study abroad are proficient in English and are usually very well-prepared academically.
• The total number of students in vocational education and training after secondary education was 136.2 thousand during the school year 2019/2020.
• In the academic 2019/2020 year, the total number of students in Bulgaria enrolled in the four educational-qualification degrees (‘Professional bachelor’, ‘Bachelor’, ‘Master’ and ‘Doctor’) was 229.5 thousand.
• In 2019/2020 academic year, for acquiring educational-qualification degrees ‘Bachelor' and ‘Master’ in universities and specialized higher schools were enrolled 214.8 thousand students.
• The structure of students by narrow fields of education showed that the highest proportion of students were studying in the field of „Business and Administration”, followed by the field of „Social and behavioural sciences” and „Education”.
• In 2019, a ‘Doctor’ degree was acquired by 1 365 persons. The foreign Ph.D. students were 7.8% of the total number.
• Bulgarian universities are on the list of the best 100 universities in the world. The Universities of Bulgaria are known for medicine, mathematics, biology and engineering. The programs are offered in Bulgarian, English, German and French languages.
• In the academic year 2019/2020, were 15.4 thousand, which is 8.5% more than in the previous year and 37.8% more than in the academic year 2015/2016. The largest share of foreign students came from Greece (24.6%), followed by the United Kingdom (15.3%), Germany (8.9%), Turkey (7.9%) and Ukraine - 5.8% of the total number of foreign students.
Bulgarian students who study abroad are more than 30,000 at the beginning of 2018. This number is constantly increasing. Most of the Bulgarian students choose the UK, Germany and other EU destinations because the EU provides free university education for EU member countries. The main focus on majors is economics and business, legal studies, psychology, architecture, fashion and design, and computer technologies.